Wednesday 21 November 2012

So It Has Begun: First Round of For Your Consideration Ads


Yes, it is that time of year again. It has its detractors, but I happen to think Awards season is pretty exciting! So, in a bid to get their films nominates for as many awards (well, mainly Oscars) as possible, studios have begun rolling out For Your Consideration ads - and we've got some cool animation ones so far.

Check out the brilliant ad for Pixar's Brave above - and, while we're on the subject of Brave, check out this great new video showing its production, thanks to The Pixar Post). The Walt Disney Studios Awards website tells us that Disney and Pixar are trying to get the film in the running for 11 Oscars, including Best Director(s), Best Original Screenplay and Best Song (which it should win, especially as it's submitting two songs!), as well as Best Animated Feature.



Disney have entered Tim Burton's Frankenweenie for consideration for 11 awards, including all the same categories as Brave. The Mouse House also entered Wreck-It Ralph (which has to be considered one of the favourites) for 11 awards, including the previously mentioned categories. I particularly like the Ralph ad - and anything to do with the film, to be honest.



Stepping away from Disney, DreamWorks are entering their two animated features this year into the running as well. The studio who won the very first Oscar for Best Animated Feature, for Shrek in 2001, has submitted Rise of the Guardians and Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted for consideration "in all categories", with the lively ads highlighting their run for Best Animated Feature and Best Picture!


Finally, we've got this clever ad for Laika's stop-motion feature, ParaNorman, (another frontrunner), highlighting the film's "Hand-Crafted" nature. Curiously, the studio only appear to be entering the critically lauded film for Best Animated Feature.

Expect much more to come in the coming weeks and months.

Check out all the FYC ads over at Awards Daily.

4 comments:

  1. The Brave ad is the one I like the most.

    Sometimes simplicity is just the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I like the ParaNorman one - it's very clever - but the simpler Brave and ROTG ones are just great!

      Delete
  2. Call me crazy, but I think DreamWorks is shooting a little too high with their Oscar campaigns. Though I have not seen "Rise of the Guardians", I think the idea of considering "Madagascar 3" for Best Picture is a bit absurd.

    Anyways, despite the fact that I consider Best Animated Feature a mere token award, I'm rooting for Ralph this season. It's by the far the year's best animated feature, IMO, "ParaNorman" is a close second. I wouldn't mind if that took the award home. Or "Brave".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, enthusiasm's one thing, but I never thought I'd see the day that a Madagascar film was in the running (even slightly) for Best Picture!

      Don't get me wrong, I loved ParaNorman, but I *really* would rather Brave or Ralph to win. I'd love to see The Pirates! stand a chance as well though.

      Delete