Thursday 19 February 2015

Could Lee Unkrich's 'Dìa de los Muertos' be a Musical?


In an interview with veteran Pixar film composer Randy Newman, Classic FM got what could be an interesting bit of information regarding Lee Unkrich's upcoming Dìa de los Muertos. Here's what Randy Newman had to say:
I’m not so sure I don’t have a reputation for being a little trouble. Lee Unkrich isn’t going to use me, I don’t think. And not only that, Lee Unkrich had Toy Story 3 temped with my music and it was limiting to me. It was fine, the movie did great and everything and maybe I’m wrong and if I look back on it I won’t know the difference, but it didn’t fit hand in glove the way I would have tried to do. And he fell in love with the temp, very much so. Now he’s not going to use me to work with him again. He’s doing a musical now.
The big news here obviously being that Dìa de los Muertos could become Pixar's first musical. The Emeryville studio already came up with movies featuring songs, but never with a full-on musical. It would definitely be exciting to watch them tackle this new genre.

The other question this interview raises is the possible end of the Pixar-Randy Newman collaboration. He once seemed to be the go-to-guy, having worked on the first four Pixar feature films; but new faces have since emerged (most notably Michael Giacchino) and Cars 2 was the first time he didn't write the score for a film directed by John Lasseter. Randy Newman now appears to be at odds with the studio, being as far as saying that he doesn't like directors. Could this compromise his participation in Toy Story 4? Only time will tell.

What do you think? Are you interested in a Pixar musical? Let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment