Saturday 17 February 2018

The 7th A113Animation Awards Results - and a Farewell


The time has come to announce the winners of the 7th and last A113Animation Awards! The winners are announced below, and are in bold and gold.
As always, our personal tastes decide of the Awards, so it's rather a matter of favourite over best, even if it says 'Best' in the Award title.
There will be a short breakdown of the results after the list of winners; as well as a closing statement from William, Munir and me (Damien), since - as we announced last week - this is the end of the line for A113Animation.

But first, the results!

Best Animated Feature Film
  • The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales
  • The Boy and the Beast
  • Coco
  • The LEGO Batman Movie
  • My Life as a Courgette


The People's Favourite Animated Film Award: Coco


The 'Oh So Close' Award: The LEGO Batman Movie



Staff Picks: Munir's Choice: Coco - You'll be able to read the reasons behind Munir's choice near the end of the post.

William didn't pick a favourite this year, as he feels he hasn't seen enough animated films last year, but he will have the final word on this post. 

Best Director(s):
  • Mamoru Hosoda - The Boy and the Beast
  • Lee Unkrich, Adrian Molina - Coco
  • Chris McKay - The LEGO Batman Movie
  • Claude Barras - My Life as a Courgette
  • Michael Dudok de Wit - The Red Turtle

Best Writing:
  • Benjamin Renner, Jean Regnaud - The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales
  • Mamoru Hosoda - The Boy and the Beast
  • Matthew Aldrich, Adrian Molina - Coco
  • Seth Grahame-Smith, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers, Jared Stern, John Whittington - The LEGO Batman Movie
  • Céline Sciamma - My Life as a Courgette

Best Animation and/or Graphics:
  • The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales
  • Cars 3
  • Coco
  • Loving Vincent
  • The Red Turtle


Best Voice Acting:
  • Kōji Yakusho as Kumatetsu - The Boy and the Beast
  • Anthony Gonzalez as Miguel - Coco
  • Alanna Ubach as Mamma Imelda - Coco
  • Will Arnett as Bruce Wayne / Batman - The LEGO Batman Movie
  • Michael Cera as Dick Grayson / Robin - The LEGO Batman Movie

Best Female Character:
  • Cruz Ramirez - Cars 3
  • Abuelita - Coco
  • Mama Coco - Coco
  • Mamma Imelda - Coco
  • Barbara Gordon / Batgirl - The LEGO Batman Movie


Best New Side Character(s):
  • The Grandmaster - The Boy and the Beast
  • Pepita - Coco
  • Dante - Coco
  • Dick Grayson / Robin - The LEGO Batman Movie
  • Ahmed - My Life as a Courgette

    Best Villain:

    • Ichirôhiko - The Boy and the Beast
    • Jackson Storm - Cars 3
    • Main Villain - Coco
    • Balthazar Bratt - Despicable Me 3
    • The Joker - The LEGO Batman Movie

    Best Score:
    • Takagi Masakatsu - The Boy and the Beast
    • Randy Newman - Cars 3
    • Michael Giacchino - Coco
    • Lorne Balfe - The LEGO Batman Movie
    • Laurent Perez del Mar - The Red Turtle


    Best Original Song:
    • Proud Corazón Coco
    • Remember Me - Coco
    • I Found You The LEGO Batman Movie
    • Who's the (Bat)man -  The LEGO Batman Movie
    • Faith Sing

    Best Animated Short Film: Lou



    Live-Action Awards

    Best Visual Effects or Animation in a Live-Action Feature Film:
    • Blade Runner 2049
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    • Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
    • War for the Planet of the Apes


    Best Live-Action Feature Film:
    • Baby Driver
    • Dunkirk
    • Get Out
    • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    • La La Land
    • Paddington 2
    • A Monster Calls
    • Star Wars: The Last Jedi
    • Thor: Ragnarok
    • War for the Planet of the Apes


    Contrarily to last year's A113Animation Awards - which saw Kubo and the Two Strings and Zootopia share the most important prizes - we have a clear winner this year: Coco has taken all the big ones: Best Animated Feature Film, The People's Favourite Animated Film Award, Munir's Choice, Best Directors and Best Writing. It looks like Pixar's latest film won everyone's heart with its profoundly moving story and dazzling visuals.
    The percentage it got in the poll is pretty telling, with almost two thirds of the votes.

    Coco also won for Best Voice Acting (Anthony Gonzalez), Best Villain, as well as Best Original Song (Proud Corazón). That's an impressive total of 8 golden statues.

    The LEGO Batman Movie still managed to get two Awards: The 'Oh So Close' Award, meaning it was our second favourite animated film of 2017, and Best New Side Character for their very funny yet heartfelt take on Robin.

    The other winners only got home with one Award each:
    Best Female Character goes to Cruz Ramirez in Cars 3. The female characters in Coco were also great, but Ramirez' moving character arc got her the Award.
    Best Animation and/or Graphics go to Loving Vincent for its unique, innovative and mesmerizing use of paintings inspired by Van Gogh's work. It's different from anything we've seen in animation last year, so it's a well deserved win.
    And the beautifully energetic score by Takagi Masakatsu for The Boy and the Beast also got a justified Award, we feel.

    Pixar's Lou (directed by Dave Mullins) wins Best Animated Short Film; meanwhile in the live-action front, the incredible visual effects of War of the Planet of the Apes get recognized and Edgar Wright's Baby Driver - a brilliant mix between musical and action flick - wins Best Feature Film.


    *****
    Now comes the time of the goodbyes.


    I've been very fortunate to take part in the A113Animation adventure, and now that it has come to an end, I look upon it with a bittersweet feeling. I'm sad that it's over, but I'm also proud and happy of the things I've done here in the past five years, and feel privileged to have shared my passion for animation during that time.

    I would like to thank the people who I've had the chance to interact with through this blog, including Mayra, Nadine and Munir; and of course I want to thank William for creating A113Animation, but also for trusting me to write for it, to do my things (including the logo re-design and my crazy Tintin posts) and, during the last three years (almost to this day), to carry on his torch as head writer for the blog.

    It's been fun.

    Now, this is what Munir had to say about his choice, but also about the end of A113Animation :
    "Disclaimer: I haven’t seen many animated films from last year because of stupid release schedules. So I can’t really recommend nominated films like Loving Vincent and The Breadwinner. With that being said, 2017 was a pretty lackluster year for animation and the fact that films like The Boss Baby are nominated for an Oscar is proof of that. 
    That’s why I’m going to pick Coco. Yup, Pixar has done it again with a film that features a complex and emotional story, wonderfully realized characters, beautiful music and superb animation that expertly uses a Mexican tradition to tell a tale of passion, love, death and legacy. Directors Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina picked an all Latino cast to voice the characters and this gives the film an extra dimension of authenticity and enchantment. Coco moved me to the core and it left me with a smile on my face which is the best compliment I can give to a film. It’s one of the best from last year. 
    I also want to take a moment to say goodbye to A113Animation. I joined the blog in 2013 and this past five years had been a pleasure to write about a medium I love very much. I’m sad it’s closing but I’m also glad for the work Will, Damien and I did in all this time. If one thing is clear is that our love for animation will never die. Goodbye for now and I’m sure we’ll meet again!"
    And, last but not least, here is William's final word for this blog:
    "A113Animation has rather unexpectedly formed a large and important part of my life. I started this as a rather shoddily-written animation news blog in November 2010. Now here 7 and a half years later, it’s strange to think how long it went. I’ve not written for A113Animation in a long time now, but it’s been very important to me, so this - our final post - seemed as good a time as any to write again. 
    It’s hard to overstate how much this site has meant to me, particularly around 2012 and 2013. A113Animation gave me direction in a time in my life when I very much needed it. It gave me things to do and a sense off purpose during difficult personal times. However, while that distraction was hugely appreciated, the main reason I loved doing this was because it was fun. 
    I’ve got to do some really cool things while writing here. I got the satisfaction of building something up from nothing. I got the frustration of getting banned from Google AdSense because my dad kept clicking the ads to try and make me money… I got to go to the UK premiere of Frozen. And I got to interview some really cool people. Particular thanks must go to Pete Lord from Aardman and Mark Walsh from Pixar, for being the coolest and nicest people, respectively, that I had the good grace to interview.
    Special thanks as well to the great team who at one time or another contributed to A113Animation. Nadine, Mayra and Munir - the latter of whom contributed a huge quantity of work to this site, including some of the best recurring features. Especially though, I want to thank Damien, without who this blog would not have gone on for as long as it did; he’s been steering the ship without me for the last few years and has done a stellar job. Not to mention he’s designed all of our swanky logos. Much though passion gets you a long way, a great team effort really makes the difference.
    I’m rambling, but I suppose my main point is this: I’d encourage everyone to do something they’re passionate about - whether it’s something small like logging film reviews online, or something big like a career choice. It might amount to nothing, in which case no harm done, or it might lead you in a new direction you’ve never even considered. 
    Thanks for being along for the ride."

    No comments:

    Post a Comment