Friday 1 March 2013

Rich Moore Talks Wreck-It Ralph 2


Late in January, Rich Moore spoke to The Huffington Post about all things Wreck-It Ralph: the production of the film, his reaction to its Oscar nomination and a few more teases about the possible sequel.

Ralph was the heavy fan-favourite to take home the Best Animated Feature Oscar last Sunday, and some fans expressed distaste at Pixar's Brave taking home the award. Rich Moore, though, isn't among them (or at least gave the impression he wouldn't be back in January), saying:

"Mark and I are old friends -- I've known him for a long time. Tim, I've gotten to know over these past couple of months. I think we're really happy for one another. We were at the Golden Globes together, all sitting at the same table. I feel really honored to be nominated with these guys. I'm in such good company."

Rich Moore accepts the Critics' Choice Award for Best
Animated Feature.

Moore also commented on the future of animation at Disney, sounding off enthusiastically about the studio's current level and its upcoming slate:

"I look at our studio and the slate of films coming down the pike and what we've achieved even within the last couple of years, with "Tangled," which is like the classic Disney, fairytale-type movie and "Wreck-It Ralph," which is more of a character comedy; both of them have the heart-and-soul of a Disney film, but they're different in tone and story. I think, just speaking for where I sit at Disney, it is a boon time for animation and I think it's something of a renaissance. It's just a really good age to be working in and enjoying animation."

Wreck-It Ralph executive producer and Pixar/Disney Anim. CCO John Lasseter
at the film's world premiere.

The former Simpsons director also commented on Ralph's oft-confusion with a Pixar film, saying "I think that's a huge compliment". On what his upcoming slate will directly entail, when asked if he'd like to tackle a sequel, the director gave an unambiguous "Oh, yeah," adding:

"I've talked with John and Sarah and we would all love to visit that world again and work with those characters again. We would jump at the opportunity. We're all crossing our fingers about as far as you can cross them that we get a chance to do that."

John C. Reilly at the Wreck-It Ralph world premiere.

In another interview, with Hypable, Moore divulged some information on a potential plot-line for Wreck-It Ralph 2; the site asked if other Fix-It Felix, Jr. games would have widely different Ralphs, to which the director responded:

"I was just talking to John C. Reilly [the voice of Ralph] and we were talking about exactly that. Are there other Ralphs? What would happen if another Fix It Felix, Jr. game was plugged in? Are there other Ralphs that are more contemporary? Is there another version of the game that was made for mobile? Are there those kind of Super Smash Brothers types games where all the characters are gathered in a fighting game? What would that be like for Ralph to come face to face with those different iterations of himself? And it’s created some really cool conversations, so I think that that is so funny you bring up because it’s something we’re playing around with right now."

It certainly varies a lot from the previous MMO speculation we heard - I guess they're just spitballing ideas at the moment.

Wreck-It Ralph won 6 A113Animation Awards last month.

I'll leave you with this final quote from the Huffington Post interview, on what Moore wants young audiences to take from Wreck-It Ralph:

My first movie I saw when I was a kid was "The Jungle Book." I was 5 years old, and I saw it in a movie theater. Seeing that movie really lit the fuse and ignited my passion for animation. That moment always became this North Star -- this direction that I followed through my whole life. To be at the end of it all -- we're going to the awards and I have a chance to reflect now -- it's an amazing feeling to kind of sit back and say, "Wow, that experience when I was 5 meant something." It did mean something! Now, I'm adding to the legacy of movies at the studio -- my own contribution. I hope a kid just like me when I was 5 is seeing "Wreck-It Ralph" and is being inspired the way I was. Someday, that kid will be adding his or her contribution to the legacy of films.

Head over to HuffPost to check out more comments about the production of the film, the 450-strong crew's enthusiasm for the world and characters, awards talk and more. Meanwhile, Wreck-It Ralph 2? Can't come soon enough.

Via The Rotoscopers.

No comments:

Post a Comment